Effective Date: June 6, 2016
Summary of Key Points
- The Site is closed, meaning it is password protected and accessible only to registered members.
- We will never ask your child to provide any Personal Information to us.
- Parents provide us only with a childâ€™s name, birth date, and gender on this Site.
- Parents provide only a first name for each child using our apps.
- Parents have the option of providing an email address if they would like to receive updates or notices of product releases.
- We will never send marketing messages to children for other websites or companies on our Site or apps.
- Children cannot communicate with anyone on the Site without Parental permission.
- Only those Site members authorized by the Parent, as well as the childâ€™s Parent, can see how a child is progressing on the Site.
- The Site may allow children to post certain content, such as in an art gallery, but a childâ€™s Parent must give
permission before the child can publicly post anything on the Site.
Types of Information We Collect
(a) Account Registration Information. The Site currently offers Family Accounts, described in the Siteâ€™s Terms & Conditions. When you register for an Account, we may ask you, the parent, for certain personal identifying information, such as first and last name, e-mail address, and credit card number, (â€œPersonal Informationâ€). For Family Accounts, the Parent provides us with the first name, gender and birth date of each child enrolled.
Tracking and Technology
To create your best Site experience and deliver customized content, we and our third-party service providers use a variety of technologies, such as cookies, that automatically collect certain Site usage information, such as browser type, operating system, the page served, and your IP address. If you disable certain technologies, parts of the Site, such as the ability to track your child and/or studentâ€™s progress, may not work.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use the non-personally identifiable information of our users for any legally permissible purpose, but we use Personal Information only in the ways listed here. We may use Personal Information:
- To permit you to register and use the Site, including, for example, to send you communications about your childâ€™s progress or allow you to make use of social media sharing if you wish.
- To complete and fulfill your purchase, such as to process your payments, communicate with you regarding your purchase, and provide you with related customer service.
- For our administrative or internal business purposes, such as to improve our content; research, evaluate, and improve the Siteâ€™s educational efficacy; or enable promotional campaigns.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters or retrieve your password.
- To send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you, including communications that promote the products, services, or offers of third parties. While it is not our intention to send any messages to children, if you are a Parent who believes his or her child may have received such a marketing communication, please contact us as set forth in the Section: Children's Privacey Notice below. You may always choose to stop receiving these marketing messages, simply by following the instructions contained in the message. You may not opt out of receiving administrative messages from us regarding your Account.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these have rules that could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- Otherwise, as disclosed to you when you provide your Personal Information.
How Account Administrators Can Access, Change, or Delete Information Provided to the Site.
Every Account has one designated Account Administrator. A Parent must always be the Account Administrator when children are added. All Accounts have management tools, accessible via the â€œMy Accountâ€ link on the Site, that permit a Parent to access, change, or delete Personal Information provided to the Site through an Account. When you edit or ask to have your Account information deleted, the changed or deleted information may nonetheless persist internally in our databases, for our administrative and recordkeeping purposes. Changing setting options may not result in immediate changes to the settings, which are subject to our operations and maintenance schedules. If a Parent believes that Personal Information of his or her child is on the Site in a manner that the Parent has not authorized, the Parent may contact us as set forth in Section:Children's Privacy Notice below.
When We Might Disclose Information to Third Parties
We may share your information, including Personal Information, with third parties who perform certain services for us relating to the Site, such as to process credit cards, administer sweepstakes, or conduct or evaluate research, including on the educational impact of the Site. We may also share your information, including Personal Information, with law enforcement agencies in response to a subpoena, to governmental agencies conducting an investigation, or if otherwise needed to protect the personal safety or property rights of any individual, any of our affiliates, or us. We may share and transfer your Personal Information if all or a portion of our assets are sold or transferred to another company or entity.
Childrenâ€™s Privacy Notice
What Personal Information is Collected:
While using the site or the apps, we do not ask children to provide any Personal Information. (i.e. any information that can be used to identify or contact the child, such as full name, home address, telephone number, email address, etc.) However, in compliance with the Childrenâ€™s Online Privacy Protection Act, we obtain the consent of Parents if children under 13 years of age (â€œChildrenâ€ or â€œChildâ€) use the Site in any manner that could result in the Child submitting Personal Information. Additionally, we may link certain information collected through a variety of technologies that automatically collect certain information whenever a Child interacts with the Site, as described in â€œTypes of Information We Collectâ€. To the extent permitted by law, we may also share a Childâ€™s Personal Information:
- With our service providers.
- With a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Personal Information is Collected:
Information is collected only from parents who provide only a child's name, birth date, and gender on the site and ONLY a child's first name on the app.
How Personal Information from Apps is Used:
Parents have the option of providing email addresses to receive notification of future product releases.
How to Contact Us
- Mailing address: Star Toaster, LLC, PO Box 1106, Fairhope, AL USA 36533, Attention: Manager
- E-mail address: You may contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to Other Sites
Areas of the Site and apps open to children will never have links to third-party web sites. In the separately password-protected Parents Section of the Site we may include links to other websites. Linked websites are governed by their own privacy policies or information collection practices, which may be substantially different from ours. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and information collection practices of those linked websites and apps.
Consent to Transfer Information to the United States
The Site is controlled and operated by us from the United States and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and, by using the Site, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection laws that are different from those of your country. In addition, your Personal Information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States, according to laws of the United States.
We seek to use reasonable safeguards to help protect and secure your Personal Information within our organization. Please be aware that no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We cannot warrant the security of information you transmit to us, and you use our Site and provide us with your information at your own risk. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is not secure, please contact us as set forth in Section:Children's Privacy Notice above.